The Vegan Baking Adventure Continues! I was feeling particularly adventurous and decided to whip up a Vegan Recipe that is ALSO Grain Free. As summer approaches, I’m cutting down a bit on wheat. I’m still very Pro Whole Wheat, but I tend to binge on muffins…hence the swap. Less Carbs = Less Bloaty in a Bikini.
If you haven’t tried Chickpea Flour yet, I suggest you drop whatever you’re doing and get to the grocery store (unless you’re holding a baby…don’t drop that). Texture-wise, it’s the most accurate gluten-free swap I’ve found. When mixed with flax meal and leavening agents, it gets higher than a College Freshman on 4/20. I don’t have an issue metabolizing wheat, so I’ve not had much reason to explore GF baking. Also, proportionally adding things like Xantham Gum and Tapioca sounds like a bitch. With chickpea flour, grain free baking doesn’t have to be a science experiment.
You’ll notice these are pumpkin muffins, but it is not Fall. I’m a basic bitch. Just saying, they wouldn’t sell canned pumpkin if you weren’t supposed to use it year round.
Grain-Free & Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins – Yields 12 Big-Ass Muffins
- 1.25 Cups of Chickpea Flour
- 1.25 Cups of Flax meal
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Spice
- 3 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Sea Salt
- 8 Packets of Stevia (Sweetness is entirely up to you, add more or subtract to taste)
- 1 1/2 Cups of Cashew Milk + 1/2 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar (let sit for 5 minutes)
- 3 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
- 1 15 oz. Can of Pumpkin Puree
- 3/4 Cup of Chocolate Chips (do not add until you’ve mixed dry w/ wet ingredients)
- 1/3 Cup of Cashew Milk (add after you’ve folded in the chocolate chips)
- Preheat Oven to 400°.
- Coat a 12 Muffin/Cupcake Tin in Non-Stick Spray or line with 12 cupcake liners. (make sure to spritz the liners if using).
- Combine Chickpea Flour, Flax Meal, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Spices, Salt, and Stevia in a bowl.
- Combine the 1 1/2 Cups of Cashew Milk and the ACV, allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the Cashew Milk/ACV, Vanilla Extract, and the Pumpkin Puree until smooth.
- Pour Wet ingredients into Dry ingredients and incorporate. (flax meal soaks up moisture like a sponge…do not be alarmed, you have another 1/3 cup of liquid to add).
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour remaining 1/3 cup of Cashew Milk into your batter and mix until incorporated.
- Scoop batter evenly into the 12 cup pan. (Batter will be extremely thick, don’t worry – they came out super rustic looking with cracks on the top).
- Bake muffins for 28-30 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, but keep muffins in for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven, dump out, AND Enjoy :).